Happy New Years everyone! I hope you all had a fun and safe NYE. Today I am so excited to post about a recipe I found via Pinterest....Spicy Honey Chicken Thighs! This recipe is not only amazing in flavor, but it might have saved my grocery bill!
My husband is not a dark meat man, nor does he like bone in anything. He has been begging me to stop buying chicken thighs and go back to buying the boneless chicken breasts. I tried to explain the cost comparison between a family pack of 8-9 thighs and a 4 pack of boneless breasts. My efforts were futile. I figure if I am shredding the meat anyways for recipes or using the crockpot, what does it matter? Well apparently to him it does. So I said I would (for awhile) but I knew I still had a pack in my freezer. I had been waiting for the perfect recipe and I found it. I only made a few adjustments to the recipe to suite the spices I had on hand and my cooking preference.
When I served the thighs whole (gasp) to my husband on a bed of brown rice, I waited. Next thing I heard was "Oh my god, this is so good!!", and then silence. Everyone including hubby was enjoying the chicken. Next thing I knew I see him pick up the thigh and start eating it like a drumstick. I was FLOORED! In our 10 years I have never seen him eat like that, or enjoy any meat on a bone that much. This recipe will now be added to our weekly dinner menu...and I get to buy thighs again...lol
Spicy Honey Chicken Thighs
* 8-9 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 2lbs
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/2 cup honey
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
*Move oven rack to the highest level and turn broiler on High
* Use kitchen shears (or a pair of clean scissors) to trim off any excess fat from the chicken pieces. Pat dry.
* In a bowl, combine the rub spices ingredients and mix well.
* Line a cookie sheet with foil. Place the chicken thighs on the cookie sheet and rub down both side of the thighs with the spice rub.
* Place chicken in oven and broil for 5 minutes on both sides.
Meanwhile, warm honey. I do not own a microwave anymore,
* Take the chicken out of the oven and lower your oven rack one level.
* With meat side up, brush the chicken with the honey glaze mixture. Return the chicken to the oven and allow to cook for 3 minutes
* Take chicken out, flip to the bone side up, brush with honey glaze and return to oven for 3 minutes.
* For the last time, flip chicken back to meat side up, brush with the glaze again and return back to the oven for an additional 3-4 minutes or until cooked through.
Remove chicken and let rest for 4-5 minutes. Plate and drizzle with the honey glaze you set aside. Serve and enjoy!!
Recipe adapted from Real Mom Kitchen via Food On The Table