Pinterest did it again! I found yet another super yummy recipe thanks to them. I wanted to make something my girls and hubby could grab and go for breakfast. With only 1/2 cup of sugar, the baked donuts are not too sweet and are amazingly moist and fluffy thanks to the addition of diced apples.
2 Apples, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
1/2 cups Sugar
1 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/3 cup of Cold Butter, cubed
1/4 cup Milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
1/4 cup Butter, melted
1/3 cup Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon
* In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients. Cut in the butter with a fork or a dough blender and work until it resembles "course meal".
* In a separate smaller bowl beat egg and add milk, vanilla and diced apples.
* Pour apple mixture into your butter/flour mixture. Mix until combined but do not over mix.
* Spray muffin tins with cooking (or baking) spray. Form batter into balls and place into each prepared muffin tin.
* Bake for 20-25 minutes.
* While donuts are baking, in a small pot slowly melt your butter. In a small bowl mix cinnamon and sugar.
* When the donuts are done and while warm, dip the tops into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Store leftovers in an air tight container.
Recipe adapted from Casa Verneracion