A few nights ago I was watching the Food Network with hubby (I think it was Diner, Drive in & Dives but can not be certain) I remember watching someone stuffing a puff party square. I turned to hubby and said "I can do that with taco meat and cheese...like an empanada!".
This was the best thing I have ever eaten...really! The puff pastry makes it fluffy and light while still a little doughy which I love. The meat was spicy and the cheese melty. Plus you can add whatever else you like inside..onions, jalapeños, cilantro, ect.
Here is my super easy recipe your family will love!
*3 Puff Pastry Sheets(I used the frozen from Trader Joes..two sheets per box)
* 1 lb Ground Meat
* Shredded Cheese
* Taco Seasoning
* Parchment Paper
* Preheat oven to 400
* Cook ground meat according to directions on taco seasoning packet.
* Thaw puff pastry sheets for about 10-15 minutes then cut sheets into four squares.
* Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
* In a small bowl whisk egg, set aside
* Fill each square with a small spoonful of meat, cheese and any other extra you like (diced onion in picture above).
* Egg wash the inside edges before folding into a triangle. Crimp with a fork.
* Once all empanadas are made brush some of the egg over the tops of the empanadas and with your fork poke holes so they do not explode while baking.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden tops.
* Remove from oven, let cool for a minute and enjoy!!
Seriously it is that simple, inexpensive and so delicious!
Hubby likes his with jalapeno's.